Interested in Getting Involved?
VSCL is interested in graduate and undergraduate students with experience and/or interest in the following fields:
- Guidance, Navigation, & Control of Air and Space Vehicles
- Machine Learning / Artificial Intelligence
- Vision based sensors and navigation systems
- Human Machine Interfaces
- Cockpit Systems and Displays
Explore My Team's Accomplishments
Graduate Special Achievements
- (7) National Science Foundation (NSF) Graduate Research Fellowship recipients
- (6) National Defense Science and Engineering Graduate Fellowship (NDSEG) recipients
- (1) Science, Mathematics & Research for Transformation Fellowship (SMART) recipient
- (1) U.S. Army Research Laboratory (USARL) Research Associateship Program (RAP) recipient
- (1) Caltech Space Challenge recipient
- (1) Texas A&M University Distinguished Graduate Student Award for Excellence in Research – PhD Level
- (1) Aerospace Engineering Department Graduate Research Excellence Award – PhD Level
- (1) College of Engineering Outstanding Engineering Master of Science Graduate Student Award
- (7) Texas A&M University Graduate Merit Fellowship Recipients
- (2) Travel Award to Present at Professional Conference (IFAC)
- (4) Graduate placers (two 1st , one 2nd, one 3rd) Texas A&M Student Research Week Competition
- (7) Graduate placers (four 1st, two 2nd, two 3rd) Regional AIAA Student Paper Conferences
Undergraduate Special Achievements
- (2) NASA Aeronautics Undergraduate Scholarship Recipients
- (1) AIAA Spirit of Apollo Scholarship recipient
- (1) University Scholar, highest undergraduate scholastic ranking at Texas A&M University
- (2) Texas A&M University Undergraduate Research Fellows
- (2) Texas A&M University Undergraduate Research Scholars
- (1) Gathright Scholar, top Junior in the College of Engineering
- (10) Texas A&M Undergraduate Engineering Honors Research Scholars
- (9) Undergraduate placers (three 1st, four 2nd, five 3rd ) Regional AIAA Student Paper Conferences
- (1) Undergraduate team 1st place winner Regional AIAA Student Paper Conferences
- (3) Undergraduate placers (one 2nd, two 3rd ) AIAA Airplane Design Competitions
My Advising Philosophy
Offer opportunities……. to present papers at professional conferences, publish work in archival journals, and gain professional experience through internships in industry and government laboratories.
Actively advise and advocate…. to help a student grow as a person and a professional and touch their life in a positive way: this is what being an advisor, mentor, and teacher is all about.
Resources provided whenever needed…. and helping students one-on-one outside of class.
I am a teacher.
Material wealth is not one of my goals, but I am a full time treasure seeker in my quest for new opportunities for my students to use their talents, and in my constant search for these talents that sometimes lie buried in self-defeat.
And so I have a past that is rich in memories. I have a present that is challenging, adventurous, and fun because I am allowed to spend my days with the future.
I am a teacher… and I thank God for it every day.
– John W. Schlate
If you are interested in working with me, please feel free to contact me via email at firstname.lastname@example.org. I look forward to hearing from you.